DCL console driver crash

I am trying to create RTF output for one of my existing bookmaps. Shortly after starting, the DCL console driver crashes.

The Windows "Problem signature":

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: dcl.exe
Application Version:
Application Timestamp: 517c0a71
Fault Module Name: drxml.dll
Fault Module Version:
Fault Module Timestamp: 519c050c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00008145
OS Version: 6.1.7601.
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789


The log file:

Thu Aug 08 19:34:22 2013
I1: Starting log for d2gpm, p004
I1: Project Manager started ECA Server Setup Guide
Thu Aug 08 19:34:22 2013
I1: Starting log for drxml, x005
I1: Opened XML file "C:\stuff\workspace\HEAD\documentation\DITA\server-setup-guide.ditamap"
I1: Opened XML file C:\stuff\workspace\HEAD\documentation\DITA\server-setup-guide.ditamap
I1: Opened XML file ../system-setup/requirements-and-preparation.ditamap
W1: Cannot conref topic elem into map ../reusables/product-dita11.xml#topic_10D4D1C7FAB84E7EBB717096368B7BAC/ph_insite_tm
in: ../server-setup-guide.ditamap
I1: Opened XML file ../reusables/c_Document_Conventions.xml
I1: Opened XML file ../system-setup/supported-platforms/r_supported_platforms_for_axcelerate_collection.xml
I1: Opened XML file ../system-setup/supported-platforms/c_Java_Version_Support.xml
I1: Opened XML file ../system-setup/content/r_packaged_software_versions.xml
I1: Opened XML file ../system-setup/supported-platforms/r_Supported_Client_Agent_Platforms.xml
Thu Aug 08 19:36:50 2013
I1: Resuming log for d2gpm.
E1: DITA2Go failed.for: %omsyshome%\common\bin\dcl -f rtf -o .rtf C:\stuff\workspace\HEAD\documentation\DITA\server-setup-guide.ditamap
I1: Project Manager completed ECA Server Setup Guide


Nested topics considered harmful

That's because you had a nested topic. We never, ever, use those; maps are much better. So we found a bug last month in handling them, which is what the log item is talking about. We generate a map from the nested topic, and process the map instead, but in some cases, like yours, the map generation failed.

We've fixed that, but we're in the middle of adding major new features to drxml, and are reluctant to let it out in public in its present state. We strongly advise un-nesting, but if you cannot do that, send us an email and we'll email you the current beta, which you can use at your own risk. ;-)

But that was a conref...

Sorry, read the warning too fast. It said "conref", not "convert". So that should have worked if the conref was valid DITA. That means we need a test case to reproduce and fix the bug (a null-pointer exception). We need the .ditamap, topic files, inisfor your project, and all outputs, all in one .zip. Email it to support at omsys dot com.

Me again

Seems to be multiple problems, actually. Even after removing the nested topic and after removing the conrefs from the map, it still crashes.

As this was just a test with another map to see if it works in general, while it ran into an endless loop (I killed it after it had generated 50MB log file) with the map that I actually wanted to process, I am giving up now.


Nope, it's indeed a nested topic.

I left out the conref and it still failed. It is indeed one file with nested topics that makes it fail. Although it does not fail on itself, only if combined with several other (non-nested) topics in a map. Let me know if you want to have the example regardless.


Can't send actual example because it's confidential.

I'll try to reproduce with a minimal example not containing any confidential data so I can send it to you.